Home  
   
 

 

Verulam Lodge No.268

Bolton & King St.

Bobcaygeon, ON

 

large product photoSecretary: W. Bro. Donald Ingram

  Lodge information.

Meeting Time: Third Friday of the month at 8:00PM (except July, and August)

About the Lodge:

In the late 1700’s, Bobcaygeon didn’t have a Lodge and many brethren had to travel to surrounding towns. A dispensation was granted on Feb.10, 1872 with the first meeting held on March 4 of that year. The first candidate was Samuel Newman, aged 25 years, a merchant from Fenelon Falls, who was initiated that night.

Verulam Lodge # 268 was issued a Charter under the date of July 11, 1872, with W.Bro. John Kennedy, its first Master. It is thought that the first meeting was held in a sample room in one of the nearby hotels in town. A suitable building on Mansfield St. was purchased and for a period of 20 years this is where the Lodge then met. Verulam’s first bylaws were written down and published in 1890.


About 1893 it was thought that the Lodge would be better located near the center of the village and quarters were obtained over Cain’s General Store on the corner of Boulton St. and Canal St. In 1904 The Bank of British North America, which had opened in the Iroquois Hotel, purchased the lot from Dan Cain and built the  beautiful limestone bank building.

In September 14, 1913, fire destroyed the building along with all the records. The first meeting after the fire was held on Nov.9, 1913 in the True Blue Hall, now the Nesbitt’s Funeral Home located at 75 Boulton St., which was rented for $2.00 per night. There were 12 members present. The Bank of Montreal erected a building at the site to replace the one destroyed in the fire.


After rebuilding and refurnishing the old site, the newly renovated lodge room over the bank held it’s first meeting on July 2, 1915. Member’s fees were raised from $25 to $30. In the autumn of 1918 The Bank of British North America, which was run from London England was taken over by the Bank of Montreal. In 1922 the hope of possessing a Masonic Temple was heating up.

Again in 1927 the motion came up and a property on Bolton St. was purchased at a cost of $2,200. It was then rented out and kept up, but never occupied as a Lodge. It was sold on March 1, 1945.


On Feb. 23, 1940, a committee secured an option to study plans to convert the Kenosha Inn to a Masonic Hall located at the corner of Bolton and King Streets. It was originally built in 1871 from limestone quarried beside the river behind Case Manor by Scottish Masons, who were brought in especially for the work. The building had a rich heritage starting out as the Alexander Orr Temperance House, which later became the Kenosha Inn.

Due to a generous bequest by the late brother Sidney C. Cluxton, the lodge was able to purchase this beautiful stone building and on Feb.7, 1941 a motion was passed that the building be known as the Cluxton Memorial Masonic Building.


The first meeting in the new Temple was held on August 28,1941. It has survived since then. Plans are now underway to add an elevator and new stairs to the inside of the building to make it completely accessible to all.


A brief history and highlights of Verulam Lodge as compiled by W. Bro. Colin J. Croxon.

 

 

 

 

Site Links


 

Victoria District Lodges

District Events

"The Victorian" Newsletter

Masons in Action

Travelling Gavel

District Grand Lodge Officers

District Officers and Chairmen

Wardens Association

Masonic Blood Donation

What is Freemasonry?

College of Freemasons Study Group

Grand Lodge and District Protocol & Etiquette

2016-2017 Trestle Board


District Projects


 

Prostate_Hope

Project Number:  2735 - Victoria District

 

 

Other Masonic Links


Victoria District Masons Facebook Group

Grand Lodge of Canada in the Province of Ontario

Famous Masons

MasoniChIP

 

Website designed and maintained by Bro. Joshua Walton of The Spry Lodge - E-MAIL

© Joshua E. Walton - Updated December 18, 2015

HOME