Home  
   
 

 

Faithful Brethren No.77

12 Ridout Street

Lindsay, ON

 

large product photo

Secretary: V.W. Bro. Stephen F. Sisson

  Lodge information.

Meeting Time: Second Tuesday of the month at 7:30PM (except July, and August)

About the Lodge:The lodge was first established in the village of Manilla with the first meeting being held at 6:00PM March 2nd, 1857.

Between 1859 and 1861, the lodge met in Bank's Tavern at Oakwood with occasional meetings held in Manilla. The lodge re-organized and transferred to Lindsay in 1868 where the meetings were held in Holtorf furniture store which was just East of the Anglican Church. The building was shared with brethren of King Hiram Lodge No.89.

In 1870, the lodge leased quarters in the Keenan Block, located on the South side of Kent Street, immediately East of the present Tangney's Store.

in 1906, the "Post Building" was being erected and the Masons arranged with the owner, Mr. G.H. Wilson to have the third floor built to suit the lodge needs. This lodge room was dedicated on October 18th, 1907 by Most Worshipful A.T. Freed, Grand Master.

 

On April 1st 1963, Faithful Brethren Lodge No. 77 purchased property on the corner of Mill and Ridout Streets for $10,400 to construct a new building to house the lodges in Lindsay.

W. Bro. F. James Doughty, a draftsman, employed by Union Carbide Co., Lindsay, a Past Master of Gothic Lodge No. 608 (1964), prepared the plans for a Masonic Temple, free of charge.

Construction of the Temple commenced on May 19th, 1965, Bro. William J. Morrow being the general contractor. It was ready for occupancy at the end of the year, and December 27th, 1965 was moving day.

The cost for the structure and land was $69,801.66. The contractor was paid $52,000.94 and $7,400.72 to the electrician.

R.W. Bro. Hugh Carter was the spark plug that kept things in line and ensured the building was completed as per specifications and on budget.

The first meeting was held by Faithful Brethren Lodge No. 77 on January 11th, 1966, and by Gothic Lodge No. 608 on January 17th, 1966. The lodge room was dedicated on April 16th, 1966 by Most Worshipful Bro. James N. Allen, Grand Master. W. Ken Reid was the first candidate to receive a degree, being raised by W.M. Bro. Herbert Simpson.

Due to the lodge being inactive from 1861 to 1867, Grand Lodge did not grant the authority to wear the Gold Braid until October 8th, 1963.

For a full history of the lodge, refer to the 125th Anniversary Book prepared by R.W. Bro. Charlie Heels of Faithful Brethren Lodge A.F.&A.M. No. 77, GRC. And presented in 1982 the 125th year of this lodge.

 

 

 

Site Links


 

Victoria District Lodges

District Events

"The Victorian" Newsletter

Masons in Action

Travelling Gavel

District Grand Lodge Officers

District Officers and Chairmen

Wardens Association

Masonic Blood Donation

What is Freemasonry?

College of Freemasons Study Group

Grand Lodge and District Protocol & Etiquette

2016-2017 Trestle Board


District Projects


 

Prostate_Hope

Project Number:  2735 - Victoria District

 

 

Other Masonic Links


Victoria District Masons Facebook Group

Grand Lodge of Canada in the Province of Ontario

Famous Masons

MasoniChIP

 

Website designed and maintained by Bro. Joshua Walton of The Spry Lodge - E-MAIL

© Joshua E. Walton - Updated October 2, 2015

HOME